Hebrews 11:6, 12:1-2
#1 What is faith?
#2 What is the purpose of our faith?
#3 What is the result of faith?
- faith is the assurance of things hoped for and the conviction of things not seen (firm belief, complete trust, full confidence)
- we have no problem believing that God exists, but we have a hard time believing that He is trustworthy and will do good on His promises
- the church is like a hospital where people go because they want to remain sick (it should not be this way)
- transformation –> the reason why Christ died on the cross
- purpose: change our lives–the #1 thing God wants for us is to be holy
- the result of our faith is growth in our spiritual lives
- already but not yet (we are Christians but not full Christians because we are still learning)
- the whole time, James was giving the profile of Christ